This Afton, Va., farm gained fame in 1837, when Afton native Andrew Stephenson, then U.S. Ambassador to England, presented an Afton pippin apple to Queen Victoria. The property thereafter became known as Royal Orchard. In 2009 Alexander Nicholson worked on renovation to the original 1913 stone castle with John Milner Architects. The 25,000 s.f. home now has a new structural roof system that involved extensive stone work and flashings plus new copper roofs. Extensive architectural renovations to the exterior included decorative leadwork and lead gutter systems, renovation and replacement of the rear sash doors, stained glass, and gothic arched windows. Inside, architectural repairs and renovations to the decorative plaster walls and ceilings and renovations to six bathrooms were included in the project. The original reinforced concrete floor system needed massive structural repairs. The project also included both asbestos abatement and mold remediation, moisture control in the basement and crawl space, and the removal and repair of the structural concrete terrace over the basement area, utilizing the original bluestone paving.